Friday, March 14, 2014

Start by Doing What is Necessary

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." -Saint Francis of Assisi

I've loved this quote for a long time. It makes sense, I think. After all, what we regard as impossible all depends upon our perspectives about possibility. I love that this quote breaks it down into practical steps, because I'm a "practical steps" kind of person.

I think for quite a long, long time I've been working on doing what's necessary in life, and now I'm just barely barely, starting to be able to move into the realm of what is possible. I'm discovering that it's the months and  years of long, hard work on what is necessary that opens up new possibilities. Without the tedious, boring, agonizing hours of work on what is necessary, possibilities remain impossible. 

So if that's where you are right now - in a place where you feel like you are forced to do what is necessary, what is dreary and repetitive and tiresome, be encouraged. I know how it is to feel like you're spinning circles, wasting time, when you really want to be running hard into where you feel called, or what it is you dream of. The impossible.

Remember that it's only through sowing a seed in the ground - the necessary - caring for it though it is small and seems it will never grow -the possible- and waiting for years for the plant to develop do you get to hold that beautiful apple in your hand. The impossible.


No comments:

Post a Comment